The job of an ultrasound technician is invaluable when it comes to healthcare. Ultrasound techs are also called diagnostic medical sonographers. They are expected to operate equipment and machines to understand what is going on inside the body of a person. Problems can be identified with the use of sound waves. Once a patient comes in, they are expected to meet the ultrasound tech so that their problems can be diagnosed. The technician then presents the doctor with the report so that the patient can be taken care of.
There are a lot of specializations that techs can branch into- heart health, abdominal sonography, gynecology, etc. Sound waves play a major role in identifying the problems occurring in a human body and to fight off life threatening diseases. An ultrasound tech has the opportunity to work with the newest technology that gets introduced in the medical industry. This is an industry, which will thrive as people will get ill and doctors will be required to treat them.
What does an ultrasound technician do?
Checking the internal organs of the patient’s body is the job of a technician. Transducer is a device that releases high frequency sound waves into the patient’s body. These sounds echo off the area that is targeted and present an image onto the computer. This helps technicians understand whether the person is suffering from any problem or not as it gives an insight into what is happening inside the body of the patient. This technique is widely used in pregnant women. It helps to know the growth and health of the baby.
They also need to have good people skills. These techs meet different people on a daily basis. Most of them come in scared because they fear the doctor’s office. Some have serious injuries that need to be checked. There are multiple reasons why a person meets up with an ultrasound tech and most of them sound scary. The job of the technician includes calming the person down. He or she should carry on their tests in such a way that the patient can hold their own.
Even though the job of an ultrasound technician sounds promising and rewarding, it requires a lot of hard work to be put it.
- They must ensure that the equipment is cleaned and prepared for the next patient.
- They must decide the place to set up the machine. This will help them get the best images and understand better what the patient is suffering from.
- They must be able to explain to the patient what is going on so that the patient understands everything. If there are any questions, the tech should b able to answer them.
- Technicians also have to decide whether or not they have sufficient images to diagnose the problem.
- They should also know what the doctor wants in his images and what he does not want. He or she should only provide those images to the doctor.
- If they feel that something is not right with an image then they should inform the doctor about the same.
- An ultrasound tech is expected to be privy to all the latest information about the industry.
- Maintain the records of patients in an organized manner.
These are the main tasks that a technician is expected to deal with on a daily basis. There is a lot more that he or she is expected to do and monitor. As mentioned earlier, the job is not easy but since it is rewarding and expected to progress, it is a wonderful job to have. If you are looking for something challenging that keeps you on your toes for the rest of your life then this is the job you are looking for.
If you wish to be trained as an ultrasound tech then the time is now. You should get yourself enrolled in a university that offers the program for sonographers. You can check a few local colleges to know the different programs being offered and go to a university of your choice. You should also visit a few schools so that you can know of the training facilities that will be offered. Schools tie up with hospitals to provide training to students so you can opt for a school that is tied up with the hospital you wish to work with.
Job outlook for an ultrasound technician
The career prospects for a diagnostic medical sonographer are pretty good. If you have a good background and degree, you can hope to get a job that will pay you well. Technological advancements in this field are always on the rise. People come up with newer technology and technicians get the opportunity to get trained to use those technologies on a daily basis. Career options are better for those who are interested in specializing in a particular branch. If you do this, your wages will also increase.
What are the different jobs available for an ultrasound technician?
The most common job of a medical sonographer requires dealing in gynecology. They are the ones who are responsible for doing the ultrasounds on pregnant women. They can track the growth of the fetus with their equipment. This helps to say whether or not the baby is developing properly and is in good health.
Another job that is available for ultrasound technicians is abdominal sonography. This requires them to look inside the abdomen of the patient with the use of proper equipment to look for abdominal quality. They also check the pelvis, gall bladder, spleen, pancreas and kidney to assess the organs of the patient. This is done so that if the patient has liver enlargements, tumors, kidney stones, gall stones and appendicitis, it can be diagnosed.
To check for breast cancer, mammographers are used. Sonographers are used in complement with the mammographer so that the cancer does not get missed.
Some patients require the use of neurosonographers. They are used to gauge and thoroughly check the central nervous system and brains of the patient. Proper imaging from these sonographies helps physicians assess problems such as brain tumors, vascular problems, strokes and fluid build-ups that the person is suffering from.
The technicians who are experiencing a high growth in their job are musculoskeletal sonographers. They are responsible for imaging joints, tendons, muscles and ligaments. They are mostly used in sports events and they find the abnormality with precision. They can also carry out needle therapies and other such therapies with complete accuracy.
There are a lot of skills that a sonographer is expected to have. Their job only looks simple but once you get down to do it, it is not so. They need to have multiple skills to keep the patients and doctors satisfied and happy with them at all times.
- Communication- a patient should easily be able to communicate with his sonographer. The technician should have the skills to effectively communicate with doctors and patients. They should be able to deal with a variety of people under different circumstances.
- Co-ordination- this is a skill that is a must in a sonographer. He needs to use one hand to hold the equipment and use it at the targeted body area of the patient. His eyes need to be on the screen to look for any abnormality. His may have to use his other hand to hold the patient steady.
- Stamina- technicians need to have a lot of stamina. They are expected to spend a lot of time on their feet. They also need to handle heavy weight machinery. Having good stamina will only help them do their job better.
- Precision- sonographers are expected to be precise. They need to jot down the details of the patients and also use the equipment on the right place. All this requires precision and it is very important for an ultrasound technician.
- Attention to detail- sonographers have to pay attention to the smallest detail. If they miss even a small thing then an ultrasound becomes incomplete. It may even lead to the patient being misdiagnosed. The sonographer should notice any tiny abnormality. It can make all the difference in the life of the patient.
Ultrasound is a fast growing field. There are a lot of innovations in terms of technology. Also, most of the patients need to visit a sonographer before their problem can get diagnosed. Sonographers are people who can effectively diagnose a patient. They know what area of the person has what abnormality and that gets passed on to the doctor in charge. Specializing in a particular branch of sonography is always better as it promises more pay. This is a field that is expected to experience a rise for the next ten years. The medicine industry is not going anywhere, sick people need to be treated and sonographers play a big role in fulfilling that.